Human Rights Monitor (HRM) has compiled a list of victims of enforced disappearance and extra-judicial killings between January and December 2021. The chronology of events and witness testimonies allege members of the Indonesian police or military of committing these atrocities. All victims are indigenous Papuans – a finding which reflects the continuing pattern of state violence, violations of the right to life and the persistent racial discrimination that indigenous Papuans face in Indonesia. Most cases have not been followed up through independent investigations and the prosecution of perpetrators in transparent and public trials.
In multiple cases, security force officials publicly claimed that the victims were affiliated with the West Papua National Liberation Army (TPNPB) and killed in combat. This appears to be a common strategy to prevent further investigations into the cases and convince the public that the security forces acted in accordance with legal procedures.
We demand Indonesian authorities immediately conduct independent, impartial and effective investigations into these cases. All perpetrators should be brought to justice in civilian courts through fair and transparent trials, as stipulated in international human rights treaties.
In memory of the victims and in solidarity with their families, who continue to seek justice, the Human Rights Monitor has compiled the following section with short case narratives of all reported cases of extra-judicial killings and enforced disappearances in West Papua throughout 2021:
- Military members killed Mr Janius Bagau (26 years) and his brothers, Mr Yustinus Bagau (20 years) and Mr Sony Bagau (16 years) inside the Bilogai Health Center in Yokatapa Village, Intan Jaya on 15 February 2021. The soldiers tortured the three men, claiming that the villagers were affiliated with the West Papua National Liberation Army (TPN PB).
- Mr Kristianus Yandum, a member of the peaceful civil resistance movement West Papua National Committee (KNPB), died during police detention on 27 February 2021 after police officers neglected his deteriorating health condition and failed to process requests for medical treatment for almost one month. Observers claim that his deteriorating health condition resulted from the torture during his arrest and detention.
- Military members shot dead a disabled Papuan villager, Mr Donatus Mirib (36 years), in Ndugusiga, Intan Jaya Regency, on 27 February 2021. Military representatives claimed that Donatus Mirib was affiliated with the TPNPB. Relatives denied the accusations.
- On 6 March 2021, three members of the Raider 715/MTL Infantry Battalion shot dead Mr Melianus Nayagau (17 years) in Puyagia Village, Intan Jaya regency. A military representative declared that Melianus Nayagau was associated with the TPN PB. Local school teachers and the parents both confirmed that Melianus Nayagau was not affiliated with the armed resistance.
- On 21 March 2021, members of the Nemangkawi joint security task force killed Papuan gold panner, Mr Demianus Newegalen (40 years), inside the Freeport mine concession area in the Mimika regency. Representatives of the Papuan Regional Police (Polda Papua) claimed that Mr Newegalen was associated with the TPN PB and had allegedly attacked security force members with a bow and arrow.
- Mr Yeremias Nagen (35 years) was forcefully abducted after being arrested by military members on 29 March 2021 near his garden in the Nduga regency. His wife witnessed a group of soldiers bringing Mr Nagen at gunpoint into the forest.
- Two military members tortured Mr Moses Yewen (45 years) in the Wayo Village, Tambrauw Regency on 9 April 2021. On 7 May 2021, Mr Yewen suddenly passed away. His relatives believe that his death was related to the torture he experienced.
- On 16 May 2021, joint security force members shot dead Rev Laban Hagabal (59 years) during a raid in the Demaju village, Puncak regency. He was shot dead as security forces opened fire at TPN PB members who had slept in the same house with Rev Hagabal.
- Mr Jekson Sitokmabin (20 years), and Mr Asven Kasipmaben (17 years) mysteriously disappeared in the Serambakon District of Pegunungan Bintang Regency on the evening of 18 May 2021, shortly after an armed clash between the military and the TPNPB in the Yapimakot Village.
- Members of the Nemangkawi joint security task force shot dead village head Mr Patianus Kogoya (45 years), his wife Mrs Paitena Murib (43 years), and Mr Erialek Kogoya (55 years) during a security force operation against the TPN PB in Nipuralome Village, Puncak Regency, on 4 June 2021.
- A military member shot dead indigenous Papuan, Mr Durias Tabuni, during a brawl at the Jibama Market in the town of Wamena, Jayawijaya regency, on 4 June 2021. Military officials convinced the victims’ relatives to settle the issue outside of the law.
- Ferianus Asso passed away at the Bhayangkara Police Hospital in Jayapura on 22 August 2021 due to bullet injuries in the stomach which he sustained as police officers dispersed a crowd of protesters in Dekai, Yahukimo Regency, on 16 July 2021.
- On 2 September 2021, members of the Nemangkawi police task force arrested TPNPB member, Mr Anias Yalak, in the town of Dekai, Yahukimo regency. Police officers shot both of Mr Yalak’s legs, claiming he resisted the arrest. Mr Yalak reportedly died from blood loss at the Bhayangkara Police Hospital in Jayapura on 26 September 2021.
- On 12 October 2021, members of the police mobile brigade (Brimob) shot dead Mr Surya Wenda as the officers forcefully dispersed a private celebration with firearms in the town of Wamena, Jayawijaya regency, with firearms.
- Armed clashes in the town Sugapa, Intan Jaya Regency, resulted in the death of a two-year-old infant, Melpianus Sondegau (see photo on top, source: YKKMP), on 26 October 2021. The relatives claim that the shots came from the local military command (Koramil) in Sugapa.
- Military members arrested Mr Semuel Kobogau (31 years), inside a small store in Sugapa town on 5 October 2021 and subsequently brought Mr Kobogau, to the nearby Raider 501 military post. It was the last time he was seen alive. A police investigation into the allegations of enforced disappearance did not bring any results
- On 25 October 2021, military members shot down and arrested Mr Manfret Tamunete during a raid in the Fuog Village, Maybrat regency. As the relatives visit him during detention, the local police and the military failed to disclose his whereabouts.